Title

A little blog about food with recipes, reviews, commentary, and honesty.

I also offer event catering and private chef services; check out Earls Barton Eats! for more details.

Sunday 30 December 2012

Trend Aware for 2013: Intro


I believe I've expressed in a previous blog how intolerant I am to trends of any variety; be they food, or drink, or clothes, or authors, or dishcloths. I've never been a very 'trendy' person, even as a child I shunned the furbies and the tamagotchis and the pogs (and ultimately, friends). I haven't really put a lot of thought into why: maybe I'm just a contrary bastard, maybe I'm too cool, maybe I just can't be bothered with it all. 

We could go deep into the psychology of why some of us are compelled to worship the trendy and the popular and the new. Or I could not and we'd all be thankful for it. 

You see, I eat what I like when I damn well like. And I sort of resent being told that I have to go and eat something because it's IN or HIP or NOW. If you want to try something new then go out there and try it; whether it's the very latest in food-fashion or it's something your granny used to cook. I appreciate that sometimes we need a little nudge in the right direction, but please don't let yourself only be influenced by me (Lord, help you), or another blogger, or a journalist; be influenced by your own taste-buds and curiosity. 

And ultimately I feel very sorry for the foods who are deemed to be uncool or old-fashioned and I want to give them a little hug. In 2013 the utterly excellent macaroon is meant to make way for the not-so-elegant eclair. And fabulous, fresh noodle bars are being trounced by pie 'n' mash shops (the 'n' is somehow obligatory). 

Good food is for life, not just for trends. 

Then why, you must surely be asking, am I writing a series of blogs about the food trends of 2013? Well partly because, as I said before, I'm a contrary bastard. But mostly because they are foods that deserve a spotlight; not because they're HAPPENING but because they're really very good. 

Knowing about the latest food trends gives you an awareness of the variety of food that's out there; you can be trend aware without being a trend follower (or so the hipsters tell me). If you want to give them a go then do, if you glean some new ideas from them then excellent, but don't rush out on the next train and spuff half your month's wages in some hipster cafe in the East End because of a compulsion for keeping up with the Joneses. 

And no, I'm by no means the only food blogger who will be writing capaciously on this subject. But I may be the only one thinking more about the food than my own popularity. 

Don't fret, the rest of the year will be dedicated to unfashionable, dull, boring, brilliant, delicious food. 


Trend Aware for 2013, Part 1: Gourmet Hot Dogs - out on 03/01/12.

No comments:

Post a Comment